If you are thinking about having a baby, it could be a good idea to talk to a doctor first. A full pre-conception assessment can give you the best chances of conceiving and enjoying a healthy pregnancy.
You can make an appointment as soon as you start thinking about getting pregnant.
Why Arrange a Pre-Conception Assessment?
You can arrange a pre-conception assessment as soon as you decide to try for a baby. During the appointment:
- You will get advice on lifestyle changes you should make before you become pregnant, such as taking a folic acid supplement.
- You can also find out how to increase your chances of conceiving by working out when you should be ovulating.
- The doctor will look for any issues that need to be addressed before you get pregnant and provide advice to help you prepare yourself for pregnancy.
Seeing a doctor is a good idea for anyone who is hoping to conceive, but it can be particularly important if you’ve experienced any health problems:
- If you’ve had trouble conceiving or experienced a difficult pregnancy in the past, it can be very reassuring to get medical advice before you try again.
- It is also important to talk to a doctor if you have a condition such as diabetes or high blood pressure that could be affected by pregnancy. You may need to consult the specialist who is treating you as well as seeing a gynaecologist for pre-conception advice.
What to Expect
During a pre-conception assessment at the Lotus Klinik you will talk about various aspects of your health with our specialists. The discussion will help your doctor identify any issues that could affect your fertility or health during pregnancy. You may be asked about:
- your medical history
- any issues you’ve had with your menstrual cycle, fertility or general health
- any previous pregnancies and whether you experienced complications
- the contraception you’ve been using.
The second part of the consultation will be a physical exam, including a gynaecological examination.
- The doctor will look for any health problems that could affect your ability to conceive.
- The check up can also reveal risk factors that need to be addressed before you get pregnant, such as infections or gynaecological problems such as cysts.
- Ensuring that you are as healthy as possible before you conceive can give you the best chance of a healthy pregnancy for you and your baby.
The doctor will also provide plenty of advice to help you to increase your chances of conceiving.
- You will get tips on improving your diet and lifestyle
- Our specialists will help you to understand your fertility and menstrual cycle. Talking to the doctor should help you to maximise your chances of getting pregnant naturally.
- You will also have a chance to ask questions about conception, fertility and pregnancy. If you have any concerns, you can discuss them with our specialists during the consultation.